There was a twist at a ministerial platform programme in Abuja, on Friday, as one of the participants accused an unnamed Principal Secretary to President Goodluck Jonathan of demanding N5 million before he (the participant) could be allowed to meet the President.
Saturday Tribune, which was at the National Press Centre, venue of the programme, observed that other participants comprising diplomats were stunned when Pastor Jason Nworah made the allegation.
Friday’s programme witnessed the highest number of diplomats so far, ostensibly due to the presence of the Minister of Foreign Affairs, Mr Olugbenga Ashiru.
Nworah had attended virtually all the platform programmes which had run for about two weeks now and habitually asked questions.
At the event, where Ashiru and his counterpart from the Ministry of Interior, Abba Moro, made presentations, a visibly angry Nworah, who is the National President of Youth Organisation for Unity and Total Harmony of Society (Youths), alleged that he had approached the Presidency with a proposal on how the country could attract direct foreign investment, only to be told that he had to part with the sum of N5 million before he could get the attention of the President.
He said the proposal was “before the desk of the Principal Secretary to President Jonathan.”
The programme was aired live and monitored locally and internationally.
None of the members of the Federal Executive Council (FEC), who were present at the programme, made effort to debunk the allegation.
The allegation came as the administration of President Jonathan said it was fighting graft and was determined to stamp it out.